Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Unamazing Grace

One of the central themes to following Christ is that He has an amazing amount of Grace for us. As I look and evaluate the current trends or themes of Christianity, I am filled with so much hope. We now have a better picture of what Biblical Christ following even means. As I grew up, it seemed there were only sermons about 'getting your act together' from a preacher who obviously had arrived at that glorious location where sin did not abound in his life. A place where everyone gets "there." In fact, its called "ThereLand," the place for the holy & godly. Oh to taste the treats of that place! To sing those songs, to run on those grassy fields & to be friends with such amazing and glorious people.

It turns out, there is no such place. There never was. The place called "there" doesn't even exist. What does exist is the humble place of journeying with a Christ that has more grace than I do sin. A Jesus who knows my hearts desire is to serve him. A place where everyone believes that they need Jesus just as much as everyone else, and that actually affects the way that they treat anyone they know or meet.

If you believe that the only people in need of grace are ‘those’ people over ‘there’ that are caught up ‘in sin,’ then I wish to inform you that the concept of grace isn’t very amazing at all. Its very un-amazing. We could sing the song: "Unamazing Grace, how terrible the sound. That made a wretch like me. I once was humbly saved, but soon arrived in that place, where everyone isn't as amazing, as me."

No comments:

Post a Comment